POR (rule 9.1b)
“The District Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the District Commissioner and each Group Scout Leader or District Explorer Scout Commissioner”.
POR (rule 9.1c)
“For Scout Network the relevant Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for Scout Network Members at that level, i.e. a District Commissioner for District Scout Network Activities and the County Commissioner for County Scout Network Activities. This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the District Scout Network Commissioner, Assistant County Commissioner Scout Network or County Commissioner.“
POR (rule 9.1d)
“The relevant District or County Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for groups of adults (i.e. where each individual is aged 18 and over). This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the relevant Commissioner and the County Scout Network Commissioner (in respect of Scout Network), Scout Active Support Manager (in respect of Scout Active Support) or other person recognised by the relevant Commissioner.“
Authorising Activities in Monmouthshire District
This documents the delegated responsibilities for authorising activities under POR Rule 9.1 in Monmouthshire.
- Group Scout Leaders are responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Beaver, Cub and Scout sections in their Group (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). Group Scouts Leaders* will need to see and consider every section’s programme and section leaders have a responsibility to ensure Online Scout Manager is kept up to date in good time with sufficient detail including risk assessments.
- The District Explorer Scout Commissioner is responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Explorer Scout Units in the District (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). The District Explorer Scout Commissioner* will need to see and consider every Unit’s programme and section leaders have a responsibility to ensure Online Scout Manager is kept up to date in good time with sufficient detail including risk assessments.
- The District Scout Network Commissioner is responsible for authorising all activities that take place in Scout Network in the District (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). The District Scout Network Commissioner* will need to see and consider the Unit’s programme.
- The relevant Scout Active Support Manager is responsible for approving all activities for groups of adults (with the exception of those mentioned elsewhere in this document). The relevant Scout Active Support Manager will need to be aware of all activity taking place especially in regards to lone working.
- If in any instance, a Group Scout Leader, the District Explorer Scout Commissioner, the District Scout Network Commissioner, an Active Support Manager is unsure whether to authorise a particular activity, they must discuss it with the District Commissioner or their delegate.
- If any of the following circumstances apply, an Adventurous Activity Notification must be submitted via the MonScouts AN Form. Ensure all the information provided on the form complies with the requirements for that particular activity. Once notified, the District Commissioner will seek appropriate advice on suitability ahead of approving the activity to take place:
- In the opinion of the GSL/DESC/DSNC/ASU Manager, the activity presents a greater risk to participants than ‘general’ Scout activities e.g. a hike, bike ride or other activity even if it takes place in Terrain 0 or does not necessarily require a permit (see POR 9.28, POR 9.77, FS120426).
- The activity is provided by an ‘External’ or commercial provider (see POR 9.9, FS120086).
- The activity requires a leader with an activity permit (incl. activities in “Specialist Terrain” under POR 9.31, FS120084).
- The activity requires additional third party insurance (Factsheet FS120084) e.g. Motorsports.
- The activity requires notification to HQ e.g. Air Activities, GoKarting, Trampolining (FS120084).
- The activity is a High ropes activity (see POR 9.78, FS120423).
- The activity takes place on or near bodies of water (including class C FS120623 and swimming pools FS120620).
- The activity involves a public performance e.g. Gangshow (see POR 9.22)
- All Nights Away Notifications for Nights Away activities (including events involving adults only) will be approved directly by the District Commissioner (or their Deputy) and must be submitted via MonScouts NAN Form to ensure all the information provided on the form complies with the requirements for Nights Away.
- Visits Abroad will be approved by the District Commissioner directly in conjunction with the ACC.
- You can submit multiple activities for approval together. For example, you could submit one spreadsheet with all your activities needing approval at the start of the term. Simply download and fill in the AN spreadsheet. Once completed, email it to the DC for approval. Just remember if your activity changes, let the DC know !
Approval of activities will be discussed at District Team/GSL/ASU meetings to ensure that everyone is comfortable with the process outlined above and applying consistency, also providing an opportunity for the system to be reviewed and amended as appropriate.
*In the absence of either a GSL/DESC/DSNC/ASU Manager they are replaced by the District Commissioner or Deputy District Commissioner
N.B. In order to be able to submit an AN or NAN form and verify who it was sent from you will need to be able to authenticate using your Office365 account. If you do not have access to your account please contact the IT Team.
Quick reference guides
|Activity||Inform GSL/ DESC/ DNSC||Risk Assessment?||NAN?||AN?|
|Overnight sleeping||Yes||Yes||Yes||No – include this in the NAN|
(fitting the criteria above)